Monday, April 7, 2008

Knoxville Traffic Circles

I am interested to see the continued development of traffic circles in our area. I am a big fan of them, as they keep traffic moving through intersections at low or medium traffic densities. Two circles which I have seen, which did not seem to be reported through the local media, consist of the circle at the intersection of Gleason and Wesley Park Rd. While not appearing to be tackling a traffice problem, it is attractive nonetheless.


View Larger Map

The second circle is at the intersection of Concord Road and Northshore, and this circle solves a major traffic problem. Turning left from Concord onto Northshore was a nightmare, especially after work. The traffice circle solved a lot of traffic movement problems.


View Larger Map

Below are a couple of links to additional traffic circles that are positioned in North Knoxville, though I have not experienced them.

WBIR link

Old North Knoxville Organization link

To close, I love the use of traffic circles. I have not, historically, seen a lot of them used in the United States, though they are popular in Europe. I am glad to see they are becoming an increasingly used tool in the hands of traffic planners.

No comments: